Monday, March 10, 2008

The Silent Years of My Life



As the Iranian poet Sohrab Sepehry once said" Where ever I go, sky is mine."

this is what I always have in mind when I'm away from my country. The Iranian

revolution took the place in the fall of 1979. People were on the street and

protesting against the Shahs regime. They were hoping to have a revolutions

which will provide better life for all the citizens of Iran. A regime that will

treats all the citizens equal. But their hope came to an end when the Islamic

government took the place.The current government is fare more worse than

the old one.The revolution had many negative effects on people's lives including

my family which brought them unemployment, lack of security and freedom.

Right after the revolution my dad was laid off from his job.He was working for

an American pharmaceutical company at the time, and right after the current

regime came to the place they closed up all the foreign companies. They

threw out all the foreigners from the country. Many Iranians were employed in

those companys which were unemployed including my father, and still to this

day my dad is not allowed to work for any kind of government company accept

to have his own business.


We were not even safe in our own house.When the revolution happened to

my country many people were killed. The ones who had worked for the old

regime, or didnt beleive in Islamic government specially Bahhais whom were

executed because of their religion. Although my family was not Bahhai my dad

had many Bahhai's employee working for him, so they just assumed that we

might beleive in Bahhai, and every day someone from the government

would come by and question my dad about his religion, and his relationship

with Bahhai's. They threatened my dad's life many times assuming he was not

telling the truth. Finally after weeks of gathering information about my family

they stoped harassing my dad.


Another important effect on my family was when the Hejab became mandatory

for all females.Up to the week before the revolution my mom and my sister

wore nice clothes and did the hair however the latest fashions were. But after

the revolution my mother and every other women were forced to stay at home

and wear Hejab when ever they were out of their house.Basically my mother's

freedom was taken away and she felt like living in cage in our own country.

As a result of the revolution in Iran my family was effected in many ways.

For example being unemployed, having lack of security and freedom.Now that

we look back in time at when the revolution happened we feel betrayed and

heart broken; People had fought for a better life and bigger dreams for our

country, but at the end none of them came true. Sometimes I get very

frustrated thinking about what has happened to us, and all the simple rights

in life has taken away from us, then I try to calm my self by reading the

poem by Sohrab Which he says "Where ever I go, sky is mine."

1 comment:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing that great quote with us, and for your experiences with the Iranian government.