Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Only One China

“Where are you from?” I think people here are often asked.
“I am from China.” I answer with a smile”How about you? Are you from China?”
“No, I am from Taiwan.”
Hearing this answer, I become angry; I don’t like this answer! Actually, Taiwan is an integral part of China. There is only a Taiwan Strait between Taiwan and Fujian province where I lived for nineteen years. Taiwan has been severed from the Chinese mainland since 1949 because Jiang failed in the civil war and escaped to Taiwan. Now, some of Taiwan leaders attempt “independence of Taiwan”; they implement the educational reform to teach children that Taiwan is an independent country. The problem of Taiwan’s secession has had many negative effects on my class, my relatives and the province where I lived in.
As Taiwan’s secession became a problem of Chinese government, the main topic of my social science class became all about Taiwan’s secession. Our teacher always said that we needed to make friends with students who lived in Taiwan and tell them that we are all Chinese. We also had some homework that was about Shuibian Chen who wielded the scepter of Taiwan attempted “independence of Taiwan”, and every social science exam always had some questions about it that made me feel bored. What was worse, Taiwan’s secession has lasted much longer that affected my class for long
time; whatever my middle school, high school and my university.
Taiwan’s secession no
t only affected my study, but also affected my relatives who lived in Taiwan. The homeplace of many people who live in Taiwan are China, they want to come back to China on some festivals and visit their relatives. However, the government of Taiwan does not allow the direct route between the Chinese mainland and Taiwan. My grandmother’s sister who lives in Taiwan was limited to come back to the Chinese mainland because of the above reason. Every time she came back to the Chinese mainland, she needed to go to Hong Kong first, and then arrived at the destination by air. It was a waste of money and time. Therefore, she just visited us one time in three years. My grandmother and her sister miss each other. My grandmother often said that she misses her sister and that made me feel sad.
Now, the Taiwan’s secession has become more and more serious, which makes the people who live in my hometown nervous and say that civil war may occur. It may be a reason that I moved to America. Taiwan bought many arms from other countries, while there were some war-game in the seaboard around my hometown Fujian. Our Chairman said that “We want to solve the problem of Taiwan’s secession by peaceful means through contacts and negotiations; however, we’ll never promise to give up resorting to force.” What a powerful policy! Whatever, I think people like peace; all of us want to solve it by peaceful means.

As you can see, Taiwan’s secession has affected my class, my relatives and the province where I lived in. However, Taiwan is an integral part of China; and we can not lose it. The peaceful reunification is the common aspiration of all Chinese. I hope that Taiwan’s leader will revise their policy about secession. None of us want to see the war between Chinese mainland and Taiwan. I think that war is terrible, and the victims are the resident. The sooner to solve the question of Taiwan’s secession, the better it is. The most important goal that we must maintain is “Only One China” and not injure resident.

3 comments:

Denise said...

LiXing, thanks for sharing your reflections on Taiwan and China. It's very interesting to me to see how it really affected what you were learning in school.

Ray said...

good!!!!!!!

very good!!!!!!

monett said...

Great, is a great essay! and your idea of Taiwan and China.